Gunnison County Courthouse & County Administration
- Gunnison, CO
The Gunnison County Courthouse and County Administration Building is a state-of-the-art facility that honors the history of the community and its architecture.
The new 46,590 SF building speaks to the heritage and the future of Gunnison by re-creating and restoring historical features of the original 1881 courthouse building. The original wood trusses, tin ceilings, and brick were salvaged during demolition and used in the recreation to mark the historical importance of the building. Flanked on each side by a curved glass lobby, the courthouse sits center stage within the existing park. The two new wings act as silhouettes focusing the attention on the brick-clad entry building and its second floor meeting room. The courthouse sits raised on a pediment to represent the significance of the judicial process.
The building provides appropriate security for three new courtrooms, county administrative spaces, and various public use areas. Sustainable strategies include a geothermal system, use of local materials, passive ventilation, and reuse of existing building elements.
This project was completed in association with Humphries Poli Architects.